Guacamole is one of the most popular food items around these days! This dip is an authentic Mexican dish that originated from Mexico. The name is derived from two Aztec Nahuati words:
- Ahuacatl: meaning avocado, and
- Molli: meaning sauce.
Here’s an easy recipe to help you make the perfect guacamole every time:
Step 1: Find Ripe Avocados
Guacamole is essentially an avocado-based dipping sauce. You need ripe avocados if you want your guacamole to taste fantastic. To check if an avocado is ripe, you will need to press the outer skin of the avocado. If it’s still very hard, then the avocado isn’t ripe enough for guacamole. If it has a little give, then it is ripe.
Step 2: Gather Your Ingredients
Here’s a quick list of everything you will need:
- 2 Ripe avocados
- 1/2 Teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 tbsp. Fresh lime juice or lemon juice
- 2 Tbsp. to 1/4 cup of minced red onion or thinly sliced green onion
- 1-2 Serrano chiles, stems and seeds removed, minced
- 2 Tablespoons cilantro (leaves and tender stems), finely chopped
- A dash of freshly grated black pepper
- 1/2 Ripe tomato, seeds and pulp removed, chopped
- Cut the avocados in half, remove the big pit and use a knife and spoon to scoop out the flesh.
- Place the avocado pieces in a bowl and mash it with a fork.
- Add salt, lime juice, the chopped onion, black pepper, chiles, and cilantro. Be careful when working with chiles as it can sting your eyes.
- Cover the bowl with a plastic wrap and put it in your refrigerator for about an hour.
- Serve with tortilla chips and enjoy!